Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Stay classy, Bill O'Reilly



I really do try not to encounter Bill O'Reilly on a regular basis. I watched about 20 minutes of his show a week ago (please, don't ask why) and felt as if I had lost a couple of brain cells. But when the ladies of Jezebel posted this I was curious. I'm not even angered by what he says in this piece. I'm just insulted at the very choice of topic.

Basically, the clip speaks for itself. Three white people are sitting around and trying to analyze why black folks like Michael Jackson. Because apparently he wasn't black anymore because he chose to have white children. So I guess that Angelina Jolie and Madonna are officially not white anymore. And how about Meg Ryan? Did she reject whiteness because she adopted an Asian little girl? But I digress...

My biggest problem here is the very question: "Why do black people like Michael Jackson?" And I'll answer that question with another question: Why do we have to justify it to you or anyone else? Imagine if the folks at BET sat around and asked (without any white people in the room): Why do white people love [insert any famous person with a drug habit, criminal record or seedy past here]? The question would be absurd! Because no one would ever ask with the words "white people," they would simply ask: why do people love..." But because we're black our tastes, culture and allegiances have to be analyzed and processed for the masses.




No comments:

Post a Comment