Saturday, June 6, 2009

Faith, not religion, defines us


When I was in college, I was constantly defending my faith. I encountered many, many people who could not respect that I am a Christian and I think I should thank some of them. In defending Christianity, I learned more about faith than any bible study class could have taught me.

I have strong opinions about both religion and democracy and do not see why there are many who think they are incompatible. Over the past few years, there have been two opposing views about this topic. One says, our government should be run entirely separate from religious interference. The other says our government was founded on Christian principles and should continue to operate under them. I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't believe we should force Christianity on anyone, but I also am not opposed to those who would freely talk about their faith when confronted with moral or ethical issues. America is big enough to allow for religion in our dialogues.

People have made a lot of assumptions about me in past when they've heard me say I'm Christian and even more when I've said I've been attending Catholic parishes for the last 15 years. I've been accused of being homophobic, anti-woman and close-minded. I am none of those things. In my own struggles away from and then back toward God, I have made up my mind about who he is and what he wants. It is not Catholicism that defines my worldview, but rather my faith in a tolerate and benevolent God that does. I've never been a church where hate was preached. I've never heard anything but words of love and peace from a priest or pastor. I've never been to a Mass that did anything but celebrate Jesus' message and good works.

I know there are others out there who would use religion to divide us. There are those who are obsessed with what they believe is right and wrong. I respect their faith, but I cannot celebrate it. Acceptance and tolerance is all I've encountered from the church. Faith is what sustains me in good times and bad and it gave me the basis to be open-minded and progressive.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with most of everything you say here. I'm not a Christian but I believe in God and Christ. I say I'm not Christian because it allow people to classify me because Christianity is already defined and I am not. I just want to be viewed as a man a judged by my character. Religion creates separation and can limit who a person can accept and reject in their life.
    Sincerely,
    Patrick Phillips (@trip622)

    ReplyDelete